Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Song Analysis - Watch Out

 Watch Out is quite a unique song in terms of style.  ABBA never recorded a song like this before, and never again after it.  Watch Out is this rocky song with electric guitars and loud vocals.  Bjorn sings lead on this song in a way that reminds me of other rockstars of the 70s and even 80s.  The only other time he sings in this style is on Rock Me.

I've always had a soft spot for the Bjorn(& Benny)-led songs because a. Bjorn and Benny contribute so much to the ABBA sound, it's not just Agntha and Frida who sing leads, and because a lot of people don't like any ABBA song that isn't Agnetha and Frida singing, the Bjorn(& Benny) -led songs tend to get overlooked, and b. the songs that the guys sing lead on offer AMAZING backing vocals from the girls. 

This song is so fun and exciting, but for me, not to understate Bjorn's vocals because he does an epic job on this song, is Agnetha and Frida's backing vocals.  I am OBSESSED with them.  From the layers upon layers of singing "Watch Out"s in the chorus to the "Oooh la la la"s, Agnetha and Frida make this song soooo good!

As for what the song is about, honestly I have no clue.  Is it about a stalker?  It's very much like "Tiger", which doesn't come until a good three two years later, in terms of main character in the song is saying "anywhere you go I’ll find you".  The second verse of the song is, "It’s been kind of funny lately you act like I was a stranger I think you begin to hate me but then you’re a girl in danger" definitely gives stalker vibes. Maybe the main character in the song is a creepy ex. Again, not saying this song is ABBA promoting stalking. It's just a song.  

Anyways, we do have a live bootleg recording of this song from Eskilstuna, 1975.  ABBA really bring the energy for this song.  I think it's just as good as the studio version, with Agnetha and Frida really giving their all with the backing vocals and Bjorn really rocking out.  There are even saxophones which at this funkiness to the song.

So yeah, I REALLY like this song.  It's so fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments related to the blog's content. For example, I run multiple blogs and don't particularly want comments that have to do with one of my other blogs on a blog that has nothing really to do with the other. I might share posts because they're all my blogs, but please, keep your comments related. :)

Please don't be surprised if I don't publish your comments right away! I see every comment and will always get to them as soon as possible, just not all the time. I'm a busy person when I'm not blogging. ;)

-No foul language or cursing.
-Nothing inappropriate
-No mentions about Agnetha's YOU-KNOW-WHAT