Thursday, January 04, 2024

Song Analysis - Santa Rosa

 I'd give anything to be back home in Santa Rosa.... 

Santa Rosa was the b-side to ABBA's second single, He is Your Brother.  Recording for this song began on March  21st, 1972, nearly a week before the recording of People Need Love.  

Throughout ABBA's discography, they have many songs that mention the names of cities, towns, states, countries even, and Santa Rosa is no exception. The song itself is about someone longing to be back home presumably in the town they grew up in, to see their childhood home and friends.  The lead singer clearly feels a sense of regret and mistake for leaving their hometown. 

Surprisingly, this song features only Bjorn and Benny on vocals, with Agnetha and Frida nowhere in sight.  That's always had me wondering if Santa Rosa was originally recorded to be a Bjorn and Benny track as part of their solo career, but that's just a thought.

Although Agnetha and Frida don't appear in the studio recording, we do have a recording from when Bjorn, Benny, Agnetha, and Frida took part in the World Popular Song Festival in Japan, November 1972.  Agnetha and Frida add some of that ABBA magic with their beautiful backing vocals, and Agnetha even sings one verse on her own.

 

I've always had quite a fondness for this song, even making an LEGO animation to it for Bjorn's birthday in I think it was 2013 or 2014.  And that live recording just makes the song even more amazing to me.  So yeah, I really like this song. :'D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments related to the blog's content. For example, I run multiple blogs and don't particularly want comments that have to do with one of my other blogs on a blog that has nothing really to do with the other. I might share posts because they're all my blogs, but please, keep your comments related. :)

Please don't be surprised if I don't publish your comments right away! I see every comment and will always get to them as soon as possible, just not all the time. I'm a busy person when I'm not blogging. ;)

-No foul language or cursing.
-Nothing inappropriate
-No mentions about Agnetha's YOU-KNOW-WHAT