Friday, January 19, 2024

Song Analysis - Dance (While The Music Still Goes)

 We've officially finished the Ring Ring era and entered the Waterloo era!  With recording beginning in September of 1973, ABBA officially began working on tracks for their next album.  

Just from listening to this song alone, you can tell that ABBA were beginning to develop their sound even more, with more complex harmonies and a more grand soundscape.  

I don't think there are many other ABBA songs with lead vocals by Bjorn and/or Benny but with a solo intro by one of the ladies.  Move On from 1977 has a spoken intro by Bjorn and lead vocals by Agnetha and Frida, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head to be remotely similar.  

The song is, in classic ABBA style, about a relationship coming to an end, but the main character wants this relationship to end with one final dance and memory, one final goodbye.  I believe this song is about a breakup just going off of the opening verse: "Oh, my love it makes me sad why did things turn out so bad was it just a dream everything we did everything we had", but I think this song can be fitting for any type of final goodbye.  

Bjorn and Benny's vocals manage to capture the sadness very well in the song, and Agnetha and Frida have some really beautiful backing vocals that grow with each chorus.  

Also, I should mention, I *think* this is the first ABBA song to reference birds in their songs, "Our love is a snowbird, it's flying away", and I recently learned that a snowbird is a nickname for the Junco bird, that just so happens to be one of my favorite backyard birds.  Just a fun fact. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments related to the blog's content. For example, I run multiple blogs and don't particularly want comments that have to do with one of my other blogs on a blog that has nothing really to do with the other. I might share posts because they're all my blogs, but please, keep your comments related. :)

Please don't be surprised if I don't publish your comments right away! I see every comment and will always get to them as soon as possible, just not all the time. I'm a busy person when I'm not blogging. ;)

-No foul language or cursing.
-Nothing inappropriate
-No mentions about Agnetha's YOU-KNOW-WHAT