Friday, January 26, 2024

Song Analysis - Honey, Honey

Although this song doesn't appear ABBA Gold, Honey, Honey is amongst ABBA's more popular songs.  With recording commencing in October, 1973, this song is about a woman who is enamored with a man.  There's another word I would use to describe this song that sounds very similar to the word Honey in terms of spelling, but I'm not gonna use that because I try to keep my blog rather clean.  Anyways, this woman, played by Agnetha and Frida, really likes this guy.  She heard about him, heard how good he is at what he does, really wants him to show her what he's all about, but he's like, "No... I don't think this is right for you. I don't want you to get hurt," but she disagrees.  "There’s no other place in this world where I rather would be" she sings.

Honestly, this song gives clingy energy to me.  How no matter what the guy says, she insists she has to stay with him.  She really really really wants him and won't let go.     

Recorded in early 1974, released as the B-Side to ABBA's Waterloo in Swedish, ABBA recorded the song in Swedish as well.  While the English version is more about a girl pining for this very cool guy that she's heard so much about, the Swedish version, at least from what I can tell via Google Translate, is about a girl who's being told she's a wonderful, sweet girl who doesn't nothing wrong, with lines like "Honey honey, wonderful, ah-ha, honey honey", "Honey honey, not bad, ah-ha, honey honey," and "honey honey, little girl, ah-ha, honey honey," and she's trying to stick to that expectation of her being this really good girl, letting it get to her head almost, but Bjorn and Benny sing, "Do not believe in flattery no, be careful what you do," kind of reminding her to keep her feet on the ground and stay humble and true to herself???  

Google Translate didn't do me well with this translation this time around, but from what I understand, it's actually a pretty nice meaning.  I like it.

The English version of Honey Honey is sang with those lovely blended vocals from Agnetha and Frida, again with that third voice effect.  They're singing in a higher key?? pitch??? idk the right terms, again I'm not a music person, whereas in the Swedish version their voices sound a little more "natural".  I'm not complaining about the English version, I like the way they sound in it, but the Swedish one is really cool too.  

ABBA performed this song a lot on both TV performances and also I'm guessing during their late 1974-75 tours.  We have one bootleg live performance of ABBA in Eskilstuna, and there is this rawness to the live version that I really like.  They also don't sing it as high-pitched as the studio version.  I kind of wish we had more live performances of this song.  It's really fun.

If you want to see some of their TV performances, here are all the ones I could find put together:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments related to the blog's content. For example, I run multiple blogs and don't particularly want comments that have to do with one of my other blogs on a blog that has nothing really to do with the other. I might share posts because they're all my blogs, but please, keep your comments related. :)

Please don't be surprised if I don't publish your comments right away! I see every comment and will always get to them as soon as possible, just not all the time. I'm a busy person when I'm not blogging. ;)

-No foul language or cursing.
-Nothing inappropriate
-No mentions about Agnetha's YOU-KNOW-WHAT