Tuesday, January 09, 2024

Song Analysis - Another Town, Another Train

ABBA's Ring Ring album showcases a variety of different songs with different themes and styles.  Songs about loving and caring for each other, songs about finding love, songs about dancing to the rock'n roll band.  There's no real consistent theme to any of the songs on the album.  Some may find it discombobulating.  I find it to be really nice, like ABBA's showcasing that they're fully capable of making music in any style.

Another Town, Another Train is a song about a character who either fears commitment or just has no time or interest in a long standing, serious relationship.  From the first verse of the song, you learn so much about this character and that he already made it clear from the start that he can't stay long.  "But I told you somewhere down the line, you would have to find me gone, I just have to move along."

I love how the theme of the song is established very early on, and Bjorn's lead vocals are really good.  Then Agnetha and Frida join him in the chorus and the result is just magical.  I also like how in the left channel of the track, Benny's piano is highlighted.  

I've always found ABBA's songs to have a timeless quality to them.  A lot of their songs that were written at least 50 years ago can still be applicable today.  However, dare I say, using the word "groovy" in the song really dates the song quite a bit, and I kinda wish a different, more timeless word was used.  Regardless, this song is still really good.

ABBA also recorded this song in German, as the B-side to the German version of Ring Ring.  Interestingly enough, while the English version of the song has the main character being the one to break off the relationship in preference to always moving on, the German version, "Wer im Wartesaal der Liebe steht", which roughly translates to "Whoever stands in the waiting room of love" is about the main character kind of questioning why the relationship has come to an end, with evidence that it's the main characters partner who has broken off the relationship.  With lines roughly translating to, "Has it really come to an end now?  Can that really be possible?"  "Was all this just an illusion and now you're letting me alone?" and "Was that already the end of the line, without me being aware of it?" and "I've done all I could, now it depends on other things." 

It's actually really heartbreaking and sad, how the main character had no idea the relationship would end like this.  Part of me wonders if this song is written from the perspective of the partner who the main character of Another Town, Another Train left behind.

Very, very fascinating, and both versions of the song are very, very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments related to the blog's content. For example, I run multiple blogs and don't particularly want comments that have to do with one of my other blogs on a blog that has nothing really to do with the other. I might share posts because they're all my blogs, but please, keep your comments related. :)

Please don't be surprised if I don't publish your comments right away! I see every comment and will always get to them as soon as possible, just not all the time. I'm a busy person when I'm not blogging. ;)

-No foul language or cursing.
-Nothing inappropriate
-No mentions about Agnetha's YOU-KNOW-WHAT