Monday, January 08, 2024

Song Analysis - Nina, Pretty Ballerina

 I think this song is one of the earliest songs to really display that familiar sound that people often recognize when it comes to ABBA's songs.  Contrary to popular belief, despite the fact that Frida's vocals seem more prominent in the verses, it's actually both Agnetha and Frida singing together in unison, and the result is a blended voice, or the "third voice" as it's often referred to in ABBA circles.

Recorded in October of 1972, this song has Agnetha and Frida singing together on lead vocals, some awesome harmonies in the chorus recorded by all four members, and some epic piano playing from Benny that has been sped up to sound extra fast. ABBA, or more like Michael B. Tretow, were known to be really experimental in the recording studio, always utilizing the newest techniques and newly available technologies to try out and mess around with and the result was always good.  Lyrics wise, this song is very ABBA, as well.  There's a character, a very simple but specific setting that sets the tone of the whole song.  Really, this song just has everything that would become ABBA's signature sound.

I've mentioned before on this blog that this song is really the predecessor to Dancing Queen, a song that wouldn't be conceived until 4 years later.  With lyrics like "Nina, pretty ballerina, now she is the queen of the dancing floor" and "'Cause I know she's got a little secret Friday evening she turns out to be..." which sound very similar to lines like "You are the dancing queen, Young and sweet, Only seventeen" and "Friday night and the lights are low, Looking out for a place to go."  In all honestly, I don't think Nina, Pretty Ballerina is the Dancing Queen, as the Dancing Queen is only seventeen, whereas Nina, Pretty Ballerina seems to work a busy 9-5 office job and goes out dancing Friday evenings I'd assume as a break from the busy work week.  

Also, the line "But she knows the fun would go away if she would play it every day" is literally me, haha.  Like, this is why I don't make a job out of my hobbies, because then all the enjoyment and fun would be lost.

I need to mention, I've always really loved the little "bing"s sang in the background of the second half of each verse, presumably sang by Agnetha.  They're just really cute.

Anyway, this is a very good song.  Very ABBA-esque.  And very, very cheerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments related to the blog's content. For example, I run multiple blogs and don't particularly want comments that have to do with one of my other blogs on a blog that has nothing really to do with the other. I might share posts because they're all my blogs, but please, keep your comments related. :)

Please don't be surprised if I don't publish your comments right away! I see every comment and will always get to them as soon as possible, just not all the time. I'm a busy person when I'm not blogging. ;)

-No foul language or cursing.
-Nothing inappropriate
-No mentions about Agnetha's YOU-KNOW-WHAT