Wednesday, January 03, 2024

Song Analysis - He Is Your Brother

 Okay so I'm not entirely sure what order I am going in when it comes to talking about ABBA songs, but I decided today to talk a bit about ABBA's next single after People Need Love.  Released in November, 1972,  He Is Your Brother is another song that talks about people's love and need for each other, though this time rather than being more of a romantic love, like in People Need Love, ABBA sing about love in the form of compassion and empathy towards your brethren - an absolutely beautiful concept that really should be so ingrained in our psyches.

 The first verse is sang by Bjorn and Benny, and the second verse is sang by Agnetha and Frida.  Unlike in People Need Love, it's not a back and forth, but still very similar in the way it's structured in my opinion. Completely different sound musically though.

I actually really like the songs that feature all four ABBA members prominently.  As ABBA's career progressed Bjorn and Benny hardly sang lead vocals anymore, and were reduced to just adding background harmonies.  I love their harmonies but I also love Bjorn and Benny led songs a ton as well.  So for that reason I really enjoy a lot of the earlier ABBA songs, like He Is Your Brother.

As the meaning of He Is Your Brother is quite timeless and important, it's not wonder that ABBA would include it in their live concerts (Presumably during their late-1974 tour, definitely during their concert in Eskilstuna, 1975, and throughout the 1979 tour), and He Is Your Brother even makes an appearance, its last one at that, during the 1979 Unicef concert.

The studio version of the song is super sweet and beautiful as it is, but the live performance of the song as shown in ABBA the Movie really amps up the energy.  There are so many incredible high and long notes held by Agnetha and Frida, really demonstrating their vocal strength and ability.  Especially during the outro.

 All in all, an absolutely beautiful song with such an important meaning, and some incredible energy to it as well.

 (I realize now that I've ended all three of my posts with "all in all."  Perhaps I need to discover new ways to write endings to my posts lol.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments related to the blog's content. For example, I run multiple blogs and don't particularly want comments that have to do with one of my other blogs on a blog that has nothing really to do with the other. I might share posts because they're all my blogs, but please, keep your comments related. :)

Please don't be surprised if I don't publish your comments right away! I see every comment and will always get to them as soon as possible, just not all the time. I'm a busy person when I'm not blogging. ;)

-No foul language or cursing.
-Nothing inappropriate
-No mentions about Agnetha's YOU-KNOW-WHAT