Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Song Analysis - She's My Kind Of Girl

I wanted to go back in time a little bit and take us to November, 1969, when Bjorn and Benny began working on this song, She's My Kind Of Girl.

She's My Kind Of Girl is an interesting song when it comes to whether it counts as an ABBA song or not.  The song was originally released as a single by Bjorn and Benny in 1970, as an original Bjorn and Benny composition featuring only Bjorn and Benny on lead vocals.  The song doesn't feature Agnetha and Frida on backing vocals at all, making this a purely Bjorn and Benny solo track.  

When the English version of Ring Ring was released as a single, in February, 1973, She's My Kind Of Girl was included as the B-side.  However, when Ring Ring the album was released in Scandinavia, the song was not included in the album.  Yet, with the International version of the album, the Swedish version of Ring Ring was removed from the track listing and replaced with She's My Kind Of Girl.  

So, whether the song was originally released as an ABBA song or not, it's now an ABBA song.  I like the song.  It's a very simple song, about how this one particular girl makes the main character feel so special to be in love with her, and how he's afraid of how he'll feel if he ever loses this special girl.  I like Bjorn and Benny's vocal harmonies and "ooooh"s in the instrumental break between the last two choruses.  This also appears to be the first instance in an ABBA song where Bjorn and Benny use the word blue to represent feeling sad, as they would continue on to do throughout ABBA's discography.  

Similar to how ABBA revamped Rock'n Roll Band, originally a Bjorn and Benny song, by adding more instruments and backing vocals from Agnetha and Frida, I'm surprised they didn't give that same treatment to She's My Kind Of Girl when including it as an ABBA song.  Maybe the song doesn't need added harmonies from the ladies, and don't get me wrong I love it as it is, but I think it would have been cool to add Agnetha and Frida to it.  Either way, the song is great and super sweet and simple.  A nice little song about being in love. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments related to the blog's content. For example, I run multiple blogs and don't particularly want comments that have to do with one of my other blogs on a blog that has nothing really to do with the other. I might share posts because they're all my blogs, but please, keep your comments related. :)

Please don't be surprised if I don't publish your comments right away! I see every comment and will always get to them as soon as possible, just not all the time. I'm a busy person when I'm not blogging. ;)

-No foul language or cursing.
-Nothing inappropriate
-No mentions about Agnetha's YOU-KNOW-WHAT