Monday, January 29, 2024

Song Analysis - Gonna Sing You My Lovesong

 Gonna Sing You My Lovesong is a song about, well, cheating, infidelity, having an affair.Personally, I don't like that haha.  The main character is singing to her man who has been having some issues in his marriage? relationship? idk.  He's clearly very comfortable telling her all the details of the issues he has been having with his partner, how she's been mad at him lately, but he wants to have be patient with her.  He says all of this about being patient with his partner while being with the main character... who he is actively having an affair with.  But the main character of the song is like "She makes you feel blue.  I'll make you feel better," and the whole song is about how she believes she can treat him better, and is better for him.  Yet she seems to accept that her man is planning to return to his partner, she's just like, "do you think she'd mind if we stay together just one more night?  Just once more?" 

I love relationship drama in the books I read, the shows I watch.(not all that much relationship drama though - sometimes it just makes me so stressed and ugghhhh I hate that.)  I accept that not all relationships work out, and people can fall in and out of love.  I just really don't like cheating.  That takes a whole level of dishonesty and to go behind someone's back and betray their trust.  It just makes me mad haha.  

I recently watched this rom-com, "He's Just Not That Into You".  It's another one of those movies in the style of Love Actually (I haven't actually watched Love Actually so don't quote me) where there's an intertwined story about a bunch of different characters and their struggles with LOVE.  Bradley Cooper plays a guy who is married to a character played by Jennifer Connelly, and Bradley Cooper is super dishonest with his wife about his whereabouts, what he does, and he cheats on Jennifer Connelly with a character played by Scarlett Johansson.  This movie has nothing to do with ABBA by the way, just the dynamic between Scarlett Johansson and Bradley Cooper is very "Gonna Sing You My Lovesong" esque.  And you very clearly know my feelings about cheating so... yeah.  Not my favorite concept.

However, all that aside, this song is actually so beautiful.  Frida takes the lead on this song, and her vocals are absolutely stunning and has this richness to it, and when the other three join in the chorus, it's just that pure ABBA magic sound.  The style of the song, with that lovely synthesizer??? intro, and the beautiful instrumental track is really nice.

We do have a live bootleg audio of this song from ABBA's performance in Eskilstuna, 1975.  Frida carries the song just as beautifully as the studio recording, with even more Frida-isms and ad-libs that really add to the performance of the song.  You guys do not understand how much I WISH we had these early 1975 performances in high quality, specifically in the last chorus.  If they sound so amazing in bootleg quality, imagine what they'd sound like in pristine quality!  I know we probably won't ever get that, but a girl can dream, right?

All in all, my personal thoughts on cheating don't take away from my enjoyment of this song, and I still really love this song, live and studio.

 Quick edit to say: I don't think ABBA are in any way promoting cheating, haha.  Nor is this a personal song to them either.  Just like pretty much all of ABBA's songs, it's just a song about made up characters in a made up scenario, inspired by human nature and different situations that humans can find themselves in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments related to the blog's content. For example, I run multiple blogs and don't particularly want comments that have to do with one of my other blogs on a blog that has nothing really to do with the other. I might share posts because they're all my blogs, but please, keep your comments related. :)

Please don't be surprised if I don't publish your comments right away! I see every comment and will always get to them as soon as possible, just not all the time. I'm a busy person when I'm not blogging. ;)

-No foul language or cursing.
-Nothing inappropriate
-No mentions about Agnetha's YOU-KNOW-WHAT