Sunday, May 12, 2024

Why I'm not mad at ABBA's Eurovision "Appearance"

So yesterday was the Grand Finals of 2024's Eurovision Song Contest, which was held in Malmo, Sweden coincidentally the same year that ABBA celebrates their 50th anniversary since they won the Eurovision Song Contest.  So of course it seemed very plausible that ABBA would do something to celebrate.  There were so many rumors that the ABBA members themselves would appear on stage, that they would sing Waterloo, you know, all four 70+ year old members of ABBA, and people were setting their expectations a little too high.

Instead, the ABBA-tars materialized on stage, and for those who have already been to ABBA Voyage, the segment was no surprise as it was literally taken straight from the ABBA Voyage Dialogue as the ABBA digital ABBA members reminisce over their Eurovision win, with the exception of two new lines recorded by Bjorn and Benny, which are, "Yes we can!  Hello Malmo, hello Eurovision!"  The already pre-recorded lines from ABBA Voyage are:

Frida: "Thank you for still having faith in us!  Really it's an amazing privilege to be together again."

Agnetha: "But do you remember where it all started?"

Benny: "I remember picking up my winnings after a very special bet I made on a very special competition."

Agnetha: "I remember Bjorn standing on the coach because his costume was so tight that he couldn't sit down."

Bjorn: "Thank you for sharing that.  And then I remember the UK Jury and what they thought about us.  They gave us zero points!

Benny: "But let's take a look at some old footage, just to jog our memory."

Bjorn: "Aw do we have to?  I don't like watching myself.  Bad self-confidence I suppose."

Frida: "Bjorn, it's not about self-confidence.  It's about having a sense of humor."

Agnetha; "So here we are!"

All four: "The Eurovision Song Contest, 1974!"

And this is where the ABBA Voyage show would have a projection on the screens that come down from the ceiling of various ABBA performances of Waterloo, a bit in the style of my All Performances videos dare I say hahahaha.  However, after a compilation of various ABBA videos and the first verse and chorus of Waterloo, past Eurovision Song Contest Winners, Charlotte Pirelli, Carola, and Conchita Wurst, who all looked absolutely stunning btw, came out and performed the rest of the song.  A very lovely tribute to our beloved ABBA.  (I won't be watching it again because I personally cannot stand listening to other people sing ABBA, but of course they did a fabulous job, I just can't listen to it.  Hehe.)

Anyways, the whole concept of ABBA Voyage, getting the opportunity to perform for forever and ever as their younger selves, is exactly how ABBA want to be remembered.  Even though I disagree with them, ABBA feel like it would be wrong to ruin their image and come out as old people and try to sing like they used to, especially when the music that they already recorded is exactly what they wanted to release.  If you want to listen to or watch ABBA perform, you can already do that will all the studio tracks that they crafted as perfect as they could, and all the TV performances and concert footage that exists.  So it makes perfect sense that if they would reunite specifically for a show that doesn't "tarnish" their existing image.  

I think because they chose to reunite for the ABBA Voyage show, and consequently two new songs, and then a whole new album, people were getting to used to the idea of ABBA reuniting, like it's something they'll do again and again, and expected them to do it again for Eurovision. But if you think about it, there have been so many anniversaries and events where you'd think ABBA would have done something to celebrate.  25 years since winning the ESC, 40 years, 50 years... but ABBA are the same and always have been the same.  So why would they change? 

However this year, the ABBA members actually had something to give.  It may not be new, at least to the people who have already been to Voyage (you lucky ducks you), but here we have ABBA having already reminisced about winning the Eurovision Song Contest.  If they were only going to say the same thing that they already said, in typical ABBA fashion, why record a new thing when they can just reuse what they already did?

I personally am quite happy with the really high quality footage of the ABBA-tars talking on the stage.  As I haven't been blessed to see ABBA Voyage the show live yet, it was such a treat to see them like this, and I really really enjoyed seeing the ABBA members joke and talk and laugh on stage with each other.  The Avatars themselves also look stunning. 

So all in all, it made me happy and I'm satisfied with what they gave us. 

Also, shoutout to the ESC official YouTube channel for not making the clip available in my country.  I know America is not involved with the Eurovision Song Contest, but that doesn't mean that devoted and dedicated ABBA fans shouldn't be able to see the footage from the show.  It totally doesn't feel alienating at all. :) :) :) >:(

Also to the people who were so disappointed that ABBA didn't show up and don't understand what the ABBA Voyage show is, THESE ARE NOT AI!  STOP CALLING EVERYTHING AI!!!!!!  Ugh.

2 comments:

  1. Realistically, I don't know why anyone would think it would've been possible for ABBA to appear at Eurovision in real life. Let them enjoy their peaceful lives.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments related to the blog's content. For example, I run multiple blogs and don't particularly want comments that have to do with one of my other blogs on a blog that has nothing really to do with the other. I might share posts because they're all my blogs, but please, keep your comments related. :)

Please don't be surprised if I don't publish your comments right away! I see every comment and will always get to them as soon as possible, just not all the time. I'm a busy person when I'm not blogging. ;)

-No foul language or cursing.
-Nothing inappropriate
-No mentions about Agnetha's YOU-KNOW-WHAT