Wednesday, May 08, 2024

Song Analysis - Crying Over You

September 1978 saw the recording of yet another ABBA demo that never came to fruition.  Although the song didn't get completed, a 1:20 snippet was included in ABBA Undeleted at the 17:50 mark.  The song features lead vocals by Bjorn, and no other vocals, and it's very repetitive, repeating the same verse twice in a row, however that's how Bjorn and Benny would record their demos, just repeating the only lyrics they had written down over and over again or just singing out nonsense phrases so they could get a feel for the song before completing the lyrics.

The lyrics are super simple, "I’m waitin’ for you baby I’m sitting all alone.  I feel so cold without you, it chills me to the bone. I never thought you’d leave me but now I know it’s true.  oh Lord I’m blue I’m cryin’ over you." repeated twice in a row, followed by the chorus, "Cryin’ over you.  I’m cryin’ over you.  Cryin’ over little memories of things we used to do.  Oh Lord I’m blue I’m cryin’ over you."   

The backing track isn't all that complete either, but honestly it's such an exciting little number, with fun keyboard playing from Benny all throughout the song.   

I like how this song is a very typical ABBA song formula, just missing the components of Agnetha and Frida's vocals and harmonies, assuming they were going to be the lead vocalists in the song.  Though I can totally picture them singing this song, maybe in a more comfortable key, though I think Bjorn is attempting to sing in their key.  I also love the use of the word "blue" which is a common adjective and feeling in ABBA's songs.  

I've always liked this song, I mean I like ever ABBA song hahaha, but I have a tendency to really really like the songs from ABBA Undeleted, especially as I always want what I can't have hahaha.  And I know ABBA won't release the songs they deem not good enough, but hey, maybe someday they'll have sympathy on the fans who'd literally eat up anything they release no matter the quality, and release all their demos in full???  A girl can dream, right? xD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments related to the blog's content. For example, I run multiple blogs and don't particularly want comments that have to do with one of my other blogs on a blog that has nothing really to do with the other. I might share posts because they're all my blogs, but please, keep your comments related. :)

Please don't be surprised if I don't publish your comments right away! I see every comment and will always get to them as soon as possible, just not all the time. I'm a busy person when I'm not blogging. ;)

-No foul language or cursing.
-Nothing inappropriate
-No mentions about Agnetha's YOU-KNOW-WHAT