Thursday, April 04, 2024

Song Analysis - Scaramouche

 ABBA only have two officially released instrumental tracks, Intermezzo No.1 and technically speaking, Arrival.  But that's not to say they didn't write any.  Scaramouche is an instrumental track that was recorded in June 1977.  I don't know if the song was intended to always be an instrumental track with words to be added later or meant to remain as it was, but this song never ended up getting finished or officially released in full, so we'll never know.

This song is the first song that we hear in the 1994 medley of unfinished tracks that was made for the Thank You For The Music box set, lovingly compiled by ABBA's sound engineer, Michael B. Tretow.  And though we only get to hear 50 seconds of it in the undeleted medley, the song is really epic.  The energy in the song reminds me of how Benny and the live band would perform an energized and exciting version Intermezzo No.1 during the 1977 tour.  Scaramouche is extremely lively, with the intro beginning with a repeated key pres of a piano/keyboard, with the other instruments gradually increasing in volume and really bringing up the energy.

I don't really have much to say on this song as it's literally only 50 seconds long, but I really do like it.  I remember I used this song as the background music for one of my many videos I did for my original YouTube channel's anniversary as it's a very fun, exciting, and celebratory-sounding track.  I like it a lot and I'm kinda bummed it has never been released in full.  

Hey ABBA, considering you're 50th anniversary is coming up in 2 days, any chance you wanted to just open the vault doors and let us hear literally every single hidden and unreleased track you have in storage?  Pls?  Haha jk I know they would never do that, but I'm just saying, tracks that they deem unworthy of being released would get eaten up so fast by obsessed fans like myself who love and worship everything the ABBA members do haha.

Anyways, if you're even in the mood for a very fun, energized, Benny Andersson/Bjorn Ulvaues instrumental track, literally just listen to this track.  It always puts me in a good mood, but dare I say, any and all ABBA songs put me in a good mood because ABBA is love and ABBA is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments related to the blog's content. For example, I run multiple blogs and don't particularly want comments that have to do with one of my other blogs on a blog that has nothing really to do with the other. I might share posts because they're all my blogs, but please, keep your comments related. :)

Please don't be surprised if I don't publish your comments right away! I see every comment and will always get to them as soon as possible, just not all the time. I'm a busy person when I'm not blogging. ;)

-No foul language or cursing.
-Nothing inappropriate
-No mentions about Agnetha's YOU-KNOW-WHAT