Monday, April 15, 2024

Song Analysis - Move On

 Move On is probably one ABBA's most philosophical songs, basically discussing the topic of life, and how wonderful it is to live. The song is beautiful, and thoughtful, and I cannot tell you how much I love this song.  The gist of the song is basically, the purpose and cycle of life, and how life just always moves on.  People have been on the earth since the dawn of time, some are voyagers, other settlers.  Humans are on an everlasting journey through space and time, traveling every country and traveling even within your mind.  And ultimately, it's so special to be alive, to be a part of all of this.  I especially love the line in the chorus, "how I treasure every minute, being part of it being in it, with the urge to move on," as well as the last part of the third chorus, "I see it and I hear it but how can I explain the wonder of the moment, to be alive, to feel the sun that follows every rain." 

Recorded in October of 1977, the song begins with a spoken verse from Bjorn, who is talking in his most American accent, and his voice is deepened slightly.  There are plenty of spoken phrases throughout ABBA's discography (Take A Chance On Me, Hasta Manana, I Wonder, just to name a few), but they've never had a whole spoken verse before.  Underneath Bjorn's spoken verse are some very beautiful

After Bjorn's spoken verse, you're catapulted into honestly one of the most beautiful choruses that ABBA have ever written, in my opinion.  You have joint vocals from Agnetha and Frida, as well as some some deeper harmonies from the boys, especially on the phrase "Move On."  Their vocals are just so excellent on this song, and everytime I hear the word "Move On" in the chorus, it's just wow.   

The next verse is sang by Agnetha alone.  Then in the following chorus, you get some beautiful "la-la-la-la-la-la-la"s in the background.  I know both girls sing those backing vocals together, but I hear Frida quite prominently, it she sounds amazing in this song.  She doesn't really get a solo spot in this song, but her vocals are still superb, especially in the third and last verse when she harmonizes with Agnetha.  

Then we have another absolutely superb chorus, followed by more "la-la-la-la-la-la-la"s.  Everything about this song is just perfect in my opinion.  Both ladies vocals are literally at their best, and the way everyone's voices blend together is so beautiful.  The instruments, too, and the soundscape are just perfect.  Benny's got some beautiful keyboard and piano throughout the song.  This song also gives off that ethereal and heavenly vibe, and it's just beautiful.

ABBA unfortunately never performed this song live, though I bet it would have sounded amazing, though it would probably be hard to capture all those layers and layers of harmonies in a live setting.  However, in January of 1980, for ABBA's Gracias Por La Musica album, Agnetha and Frida rerecorded this song in Spanish.  Bjorn and Benny were not present for the recording of this album, so Agnetha and Frida tackled all the vocal harmonies and singing alone.  As a result, Agnetha sang out the first verse rather than speak it out, and while Agnetha and Frida performed this song super well, the lack of Bjorn and Benny, especially on the line "Move On"," causes to song to lost some of it's best qualities.  It's still good, and Agnetha and Frida both sound amazing harmonizing together, especially during the third verse, I just prefer the original English version over the Spanish one.

The Spanish lyrics are generally the same as the English version.  Though my translation through Google Translate was not cutting it hahahaha, like it was writing weird stuff ("nothing matters much anymore yes I fart sincerely know what, i tried".....????? What the heck????), so today's translation is via the website, lyrictranslate.com.

The first verse is: 

It is said that the anxious
Hide a peaceful soul.
A voyager or a missionary
They go much further.
If I look to the heavens
Or inside myself, I do not know.
Well, it doesn't matter much
As long as I can truly
Know that I've tried.

Chorus: 

Like the swell on the ocean
People move on.
Like the howling of the wind
Life moves on.
Like the sun in the morning
That demands you to rise
I treasure the moment.
I live and feel and
My intention
Is to do just that and to move on.

Second verse: 

I've traveled all parts
In my mind.
We are always walking
Without rhyme or reason.
Who knows the answers?
Who can choose
When there's a difference?
We know that in every being
There's a will to live.

Third verse:

The breeze that gently
Caresses the sea
And all the gulls
That ceaselessly fly
This is what I see and feel.
And I don’t know how to explain it,
This splendid moment.
To be born to feel the rain
and the sun
To live and to enjoy.

Now, I just want to say, I have always loved this song, but this song to me feels like something to do with ABBA's current avatar show, ABBA Voyage.  In a way, ABBA always get to be a part of life, and get to live on for all eternity as digital avatars, and while live continues to move on, they will too.  Though the line in the first verse, "A voyager and a settler..." and the line in the second verse, "It seems we're on a journey, a trip through space and time," really feel like a reference to ABBA's future Voyage show.

In the show, Benny's Avatar comes onto the stage just before performing SOS, and gives a speech something along the lines of: "To be, or not to be?  That is no longer the question.  So this is how it feels to be Doctor Who, traveling through time and space, and never getting any older.  I'll tell you something, this is really me.  I'm really Benny, not just an image.  I just look terribly good for my age.  The last time we played Lonodn was in 1979.  And if you told us then that we'd be back here to play in the 21st century, I would say, "Yes!"  And here we are, and here are all of you, the 5th part of ABBA.  The song goes, "Without a song or a dance, what are we?" That is the question.  So thank you all for being here [...]"  I know the mention of Time and Space has to do with Doctor Who and how they are a time traveler, traveling through time and space, but like come on, how can that not also be a reference to Move On? 

So while Move On is not directly referenced in the ABBA Voyage show nor is it included in the set list, I honestly think it would have been a perfect fit, and to me, along with the joy it always brings me when I hear this song, I now get an extra burst of joy because it reminds me of ABBA's amazing show that reunited the four of them together. :')

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments related to the blog's content. For example, I run multiple blogs and don't particularly want comments that have to do with one of my other blogs on a blog that has nothing really to do with the other. I might share posts because they're all my blogs, but please, keep your comments related. :)

Please don't be surprised if I don't publish your comments right away! I see every comment and will always get to them as soon as possible, just not all the time. I'm a busy person when I'm not blogging. ;)

-No foul language or cursing.
-Nothing inappropriate
-No mentions about Agnetha's YOU-KNOW-WHAT