Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Song Analysis - Lovelight

 In April 1978, ABBA began working on songs for their next album, a task that would end up taking a lot longer than they initially anticipated.  Voulez-Vouz, the album, I think is the album that took the longest to write and record for some reason.  At this point in time, ABBA had really established themselves as an act that makes epic songs, as several singles from their last two albums were big hits, so there's a lot to do to make sure lived up to this new image of themselves.

The first song ABBA began working on was Lovelight.  The song is honestly suck a happy song song about finding someone and realizing it's love. Sang by Agnetha and Frida in some of my absolute favorite vocals by them, the song begins with the narrator talking about how normally she hates her room.  It's dark, gloomy, dreary, especially as the windows face the backyard, not allowing for much natural light to come in.  Yet, somehow, she doens't feel that way anymore and she's like, "why?"  The way they sing the verses is like they're almost singing it in unison, same key and pitch, but Agnetha is just every so slightly higher and Frida ever so slightly lower, and you end up with that beautiful blending of voices that sounds almost metallic if that makes any sense.  Like I don't know of any better way to describe it.  I love how you can pick up on their individual voices, but their voices just complement each other so well.  It's just perfect.

Agnetha sings the pre-chorus, which is "this old dirty ceiling seems a little whiter.  When you walked into the room it all got so much brighter." followed by the chorus.  Behind Agnetha's vocals in the pre-chorus are some beautiful "Oooh"s, "Aaaah"s and "du-du-du-du"s, and it's almost heavenly.

The chorus is sang by both Agnetha and Frida together again, with some backing vocals from Bjorn and Benny which is either "Your lovelight shining" or just "lovelight shining."   It's basically talking abut how everything around this amazing guy that has brightened up her life must have a lovelight!  And no matter where she is, even when he isn't there, she feels his love.  And now she won't let him out of her sight ever because she cannot lose him or his lovelight.

The next verse is about how the first time this guy took the narrator to the movies, and they had decided to meet on a corner downtown.  She stood there waiting when he came up from behind and kissed her.  How
romantic. :')  And then, just like that, the traffic seemed to get a little lighter.  Ever since this guy came into her life, things have become so much easier and brighter.  

After the next chorus, there's a bridge, which is "And I feel so good, and I feel so fine, and I know that you must have a lovelight." followed by another chorus and the song ends.

There is some amazing guitar on this song, played by Lasse Wellander.  in both the intro which is quite the epic intro in my opinion, with some booming drums and it just throws you into the song.  The working title of the song was called "Heroes," and while I don't have any further context to why it was called that and what it was about, I will say the song, especially the intro, do give off superhero TV show vibes. 

I really like this era of ABBA songs.  I mean I love all ABBA songs, but in this era, there were a lot of just pure, happy songs that radiate joy, just like this song.  Other songs from this era that are emanate that same joy are Just A Notion, Kisses Of Fire, and possibly even Lovers (Live A Little Longer.)  There are also plenty of sad ABBA songs too from this era, but I'm focusing on the happy right now.  From 1980 onwards, the pure happy ABBA songs became far and few, and the last one that I can think of that doen't have any negative connotations is Head Over Heels.  

Anyway, Lovelight was first released as the B-side to ABBA's Chiquitita single, in January, 1979.  But the song didn't end up making it onto ABBA's Voulez-Vous album.  Interestingly though, when the song was included on the More ABBA Gold CD in 1993, the song included an alternate mix to the one that was originally released in 1979.  The original version is 3:46 long, whereas the alternate mix was 3:18.  

All in all, I LOVE this song to pieces.  I love happy songs, I love happy music (even if the lyrics are sad like a lot of ABBA songs are hahahah), and this song has both.  And Agnetha and Frida's vocals are just superb!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments related to the blog's content. For example, I run multiple blogs and don't particularly want comments that have to do with one of my other blogs on a blog that has nothing really to do with the other. I might share posts because they're all my blogs, but please, keep your comments related. :)

Please don't be surprised if I don't publish your comments right away! I see every comment and will always get to them as soon as possible, just not all the time. I'm a busy person when I'm not blogging. ;)

-No foul language or cursing.
-Nothing inappropriate
-No mentions about Agnetha's YOU-KNOW-WHAT