Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Song Analysis - Rubber Ball Man

 Appearing at the 16:20 mark in ABBA Undeleted is the unreleased recording, Rubber Ball Man.  The song was recorded on August 8th, 1979, after the release of Voulez-Vous the album in April, so I wonder if the song was originally intended to be just a single like Gimme Gimme Gimme! would end up being, or it was written for possible inclusion on a future album, which as we know would end up being Super Trouper. 

However, obviously the song never ended up being good enough and subsequently got scrapped, but not completely as shortly afterwards during rehearsals for the 1979 tour ABBA were recorded messing around with a new version of the same melody, this time called Under My Sun, but more on that in a future post

I actually really enjoy Rubber Ball Man. The song itself is sort of like an ode to fans and what it feels like to be a fan of an artist.  The opening line, "The poster on the wall of a dear friend, I wish there was a way that I could show you how your songs set me free," I think perfectly sums up what it's like to be a fan of an artist, and honestly reminds me a ton of my own experience being an ABBA fan. I have ABBA plastered all over my bedroom walls, but unlike a few certain special fans, I have never really been able to express to the ABBA members themselves how much their songs have meant to me.  Of course I will always remember how fortunate I was to be allowed to send in letters and fanmail to the ABBA members through Gorel Hanser, so in a way they know how much ABBA has meant to me, but I still probably won't ever get the opportunity to tell the ABBA members in real life.  And like, I'm sure they hear this story all the time of how much their music has meant to us fans and getting the opportunity to tell my story won't make much of a difference in their life, but it would be nice.  And like, the next like in the first verse, "the hero of them all you're a legend.  I guess I'll never get a chance to know you, still you're close as can be," really resonates with me hahaha, because yeah, I don't think I'll ever get the chance to like know them irl but like I don't want to know them I'd just want to meet them, but regardless, I'm still the dedicated fan that I am.

And the chorus of the song is basically about the crowd going wild watching the Rubber Ball Man perform on stage, doing whatever he does, clapping his hands and letting his feat dance, jumping up and down and the audience jumping along as well, some of them screaming.  It's amazing how the words themselves are so simple yet perfectly describe that feeling of being at a concert to see an artist that you love.  I personally have only ever been to two concerts my entire life, and the this definitely reminds me of my second concert when I went to see Sabrina Carpenter live.  I wasn't a "jumping up and down, nobody's standing still, some of us screaming" type of fan, but I was surrounded by them, haha, and like it's nice.  I definitely learned that experience that I prefer to just sit and take in a concert rather than jump along and sing along, but that's just me and I'd never try to take away from everyone else's enjoyment. 

 The music itself is quite groovy and funky and really doesn't sound like any of the other songs from this era of ABBA songs, which is quite interesting to me.  Also, Agnetha and Frida sing the song in unison together, though I personally hear Frida more prominently, specifically on the line, "look at your fans how we love you Rubber Ball Man."  As this song is just a demo, there aren't any like added harmonies or backing vocals either, so the song is very plain in that way.  However, I love it, and while it certainly doesn't fit the vain of other ABBA songs from this era, I find it to be really lovely and I'm kinda sad they never completed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments related to the blog's content. For example, I run multiple blogs and don't particularly want comments that have to do with one of my other blogs on a blog that has nothing really to do with the other. I might share posts because they're all my blogs, but please, keep your comments related. :)

Please don't be surprised if I don't publish your comments right away! I see every comment and will always get to them as soon as possible, just not all the time. I'm a busy person when I'm not blogging. ;)

-No foul language or cursing.
-Nothing inappropriate
-No mentions about Agnetha's YOU-KNOW-WHAT