Friday, June 07, 2024

Song Analysis - As Good As New

 Recorded in March 1979, As Good As New tells the story of a woman that chose to leave a relationship for whatever reason, only to realize it as a mistake.  She realizes how good things were before, and that maybe she wasn't meant to leave in the first place.  So now, feeling like a whole new person, as good as new, here she is standing here again, and tries to convince her former partner that has changed for the better, and that they're meant to be together forever.  

Reconciliation is always a good thing, and I think this song is really nice and upbeat.  It's not uncommon for ABBA to write a song about a relationship ending, but a relationship reconciling?  That's a new one!  And it's an overall positive song, which I like.

Interestingly, thees theme is sort of revisited a good 38 years later when Bjorn wrote the lyrics to "Don't Shut Me Down" for ABBA's Voyage project.  Don't Shut Me Down is also about a character revisiting an old relationship and trying to convince her partner that she has changed for the better, and is a completely different person now. 

Similarities include:

As Good As New: "Boy, I was tough packin’ all my stuff sayin’ I don’t need you anymore I’ve had enough."

Don't Shut Me Down: "When I left I felt I’d had enough, but in the shape and form I appear now, I have learned to cope, and love and hope is why I am here now."

As Good As New: "And now look at me standing here again ’cause I found out that my life is here gotta have you near..."

Don't Shut Me Down: "Will you leave me standing in the hall or let me enter?"

As Good As New: "as good as new and growin’ too, yes, I think it’s takin’ on a new dimension. It’s as good as new, my love for you, just like it used to be and even better."

Don't Shut Me Down: "I’m not the one you knew, I’m now and then combined. And I’m asking you to have an open mind. I’m not the same this time around." 

Also, the synths in Don't Shut Me Down as can be heard just after the first verse and during the second verse sound like a slowed down version of the guitar just after the strings intro in As Good As New.  Agnetha takes the lead vocals on both songs as well, and even with the 38 year difference in recording, she still sounds amazing and does sound like "now and then combined."  

One of my favorite parts in As Good As New is the first half of the chorus before the rest of the instruments and clapping kicks in, the "As good as new my love for you and keepin’ it that way is my intention.  As good as new and growin’ too, yes, I think it’s takin’ on a new dimension." because it's just Agnetha, Frida, and Bjorn singing together with Benny's synths and the strings accompanying them, and their combined vocals and harmonies sound heavenly.  I also love the "clap clap clap-clap-clap"s in the second half of the chorus.  And honestly the best part of the song in my opinion is in the last two choruses when Agnetha and Frida sing "Good as new.  Good as new." as backing vocals and they just sound so good.

Although ABBA did not perform this song on any TV shows, they did perform this song as the 4th track of ABBA's 1979/80 tour, making it Agnetha's first solo spot during the concert, where she was introduced as Bjorn's old friend, "a good friend of mine, a very good, old friend of mine, the blonde one," as Bjorn would say, and they sounded awesome live, as can be heard on ABBA's Live At Wembley album from 2014.  We also have official visual footage on the ABBA in Japan DVD, although it is synced to the studio track.  And bootleg audio and video exists as well.  (Also based on photographs, I think it can be assumed that ABBA performed this song live when they performed as surprise guests at some Bjorn Skifs concerts at clubs in Landskrona and Norrköping.)

Speaking of Bjorn's very old friend, I have seen SO MANY PEOPLE claim sexism from Bjorn for referring to his ex-wife as an "old friend", acting like it demeans her somehow, and it doesn't support the narrative that they weren't able to act civilly toward one another during ABBA's post-divorce era.  I will say, Bjorn and Benny's banter and speeches on stage have always been a bit awkward, even during their speeches in ABBA Voyage, and they have a very unique sense of humor that a lot of people don't get.  Carl Magnus-Palm in several of his books has said that it's very reminisce of the ABBA members' cabaret show days (Festfolk in 1970, and also prior to that Bjorn, Benny, Svenne, and Lotta did a cabaret show together.  I think Frida, too, did some cabaret style shows.)  Like referring to Agnetha as the "the little blonde girl," as Benny says when introducing he song "I'm Still Alive' later on in the setlist could be seen as demeaning, but I know that was never his intention.  Plus, one thing to remember is that Agnetha is 5 years younger than Bjorn and Frida, and 4 years younger than Benny, so compared to the rest of them, she is the "little blonde girl."  (Also Bjorn and Benny referring to Agnetha and Frida as "the girls" is not sexist either!  Frida and Agnetha also refer to Bjorn and Benny as "the boys" and no one ever claims they're sexist for saying that.)  And on the topic of Bjorn calling Agnetha his friend, while of course no divorce is a happy one, as Agnetha once said, Bjorn and Agnetha, and all of ABBA for that matter, have always been extremely professional and kept marital struggles or co-parenting issues or whatever happens when a marriage ends out of their public image.  And Bjorn calling Agnetha his friend I think was only to prove that even with whatever was going on after their divorce, they would always remain friends, which has proven to be correct even after 40 years.

Anyways, back to the topic of As Good As New, this song is awesome, especially as it's an actual wholesome, positive, and optimistic track.  Although it is a very disco-inspired track, the song itself holds up in modern day really well, not overly dated.  It's a very good song, and in my opinion, the perfect opener for their Voulez-Vous album.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments related to the blog's content. For example, I run multiple blogs and don't particularly want comments that have to do with one of my other blogs on a blog that has nothing really to do with the other. I might share posts because they're all my blogs, but please, keep your comments related. :)

Please don't be surprised if I don't publish your comments right away! I see every comment and will always get to them as soon as possible, just not all the time. I'm a busy person when I'm not blogging. ;)

-No foul language or cursing.
-Nothing inappropriate
-No mentions about Agnetha's YOU-KNOW-WHAT