Thursday, February 08, 2024

Song Analysis - Rikky Rock 'N' Roller

Rikky Rock 'N' Roller is a demo track that ABBA recorded in September, 1974, but wasn't released-ish until the ABBA Undeleted medley from 1994.  The track is only like a minute long, but it's quite a gem in my opinion.  It's got that classic ABBA song with Agnetha and Frida's joint lead vocals along with some exciting piano playing, a loud, rumbling guitar, and fun backing vocals with the "dum-dum-dum-dum-dummy-doo-ha"s.  Bjorn and Benny are hear in the backing vocals as well, and there are some really fun ad-libs?? heard in the last chorus.

The song is about a rock star named Rikky, and he is really tasting the world of success.  He's a headlining act, fans scream when they see him.  He travels around a lot, taking jet planes and staying in different hotels often.  He makes a lot of a money, and whoever the character is who is singing the song is envious of him.  "What a dream to be what you are, a rock and roll star, to make such a lot of money."  "Oh I wish I could be like you, Rikky Rock'N'Roller."  

One thing I find interesting is the use of the words of the word Funny to rhyme with Money. "To make such a lot of money would be funny," as that rhyme would show up a good two years later in Money Money Money. Which also leads me to the question if Bjorn and Benny are using the correct definition for funny?  Funny has to do with amusement, laughter, humor, and I wonder if that's what they mean, that having a lot of money is amusing.  Or going by the other meaning of funny - that it's strange or odd, and having money is so unusual.  Or they mean to use the word fun instead, as having money is enjoyable and exciting.  Regardless, Money and Funny do rhyme well, so I'll give them that.

Anyways, while ABBA never ended up releasing this as a full song, the song was given to artist Jerry Williams, and he released the song as a single in 1975 and then subsequently included in  1976 on his album, Kick Down.  This officially released version is fun, and I think Jerry Williams performs the song really well.  And of course me being a biased ABBA fan, of course I prefer ABBA's demo version, but that doesn't mean that his version is bad in any way because it is great.

As ABBA's demo version is only a mere snippet, we never got to hear them sing the first verse, which is:"A face in the spotlight. The sound of a wild guitar.  A standing ovation. The sound of a brand new song."  I can't find the lyrics to Jerry Williams' version written down anywhere, so there, I wrote it down for you.  The rest of the lyrics are the same in ABBA's demo version, so I don't have to transliterate that. 

ABBA's demo of Rikky Rock'N'Roller shows up the 6:46 mark in ABBA Undeleted, and you can take a listen to Jerry Williams' version here.

Again, both versions are really good and are great in their own ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments related to the blog's content. For example, I run multiple blogs and don't particularly want comments that have to do with one of my other blogs on a blog that has nothing really to do with the other. I might share posts because they're all my blogs, but please, keep your comments related. :)

Please don't be surprised if I don't publish your comments right away! I see every comment and will always get to them as soon as possible, just not all the time. I'm a busy person when I'm not blogging. ;)

-No foul language or cursing.
-Nothing inappropriate
-No mentions about Agnetha's YOU-KNOW-WHAT