Sunday, February 11, 2024

Song Analysis - I've Been Waiting For You

 I've Been Waiting For You is honestly such a beautiful and well arranged song.  From Agnetha's soft and sweet but strong vocals and Frida's amazing harmonies singing alongside Agnetha in the chorus, and the instrumentation...  The song is just perfect.

Recorded late 1974, this song is about love and being in love.  Our main character in the song has been in love before, been in relationships, but none that have ever felt as real and amazing as this one.  She feels so in love, she's almost scared that she'll lose this relationship and that she has to do whatever it takes to ensure that she will never ever lose it, with lines such as "you make me think that you possibly could release me", and "I, I’m gonna make you mine.  You’re gonna feel so fine, you’ll never want to leave me. I feel you belong to me. Someday you will agree please believe me."

The song kind of reminds me of Kisses of Fire, a song from nearly 4 years later, just on how in love the main character feels with being with their new love and their constant fear of losing it. "...still it’s making me scared that my love is so strong.  Losing you it’s a nightmare, babe, and to me it's new."  And both of these songs, Kisses of Fire and I've Been Waiting For You are among my top favorite ABBA songs btw.

Anyways, ABBA would perform this song during their 1975 tour and their 1977 tour.  The version that is heard in ABBA the Movie is absolutely beautiful, and of course the bootleg recordings from these tours are just as stunning.  Especially during the 1975 version with no additional backing vocalists, just Frida and Agnetha harmonizing BEAUTIFULLY during the choruses.  

ABBA performed this song on only a couple of TV shows, and I wish they had performed it even more because this song is amazing and deserves to be played everywhere.  I just love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments related to the blog's content. For example, I run multiple blogs and don't particularly want comments that have to do with one of my other blogs on a blog that has nothing really to do with the other. I might share posts because they're all my blogs, but please, keep your comments related. :)

Please don't be surprised if I don't publish your comments right away! I see every comment and will always get to them as soon as possible, just not all the time. I'm a busy person when I'm not blogging. ;)

-No foul language or cursing.
-Nothing inappropriate
-No mentions about Agnetha's YOU-KNOW-WHAT